Thursday, August 02, 2012

You Look Ridiculous...

So, I was sitting at a stoplight yesterday, waiting for the light to turn green, and across the road I saw a man standing on the corner holding a cardboard sign.  I don't remember exactly what his sign said, but it was in no way profound like the guy in Bruce Almighty (I love that movie)

via
No, this is not the first time I've seen a person holding a cardboard sign, but what I saw next was...

He would hold the sign up for a few seconds, and then all of a sudden his arms fell to his sides and he looked like he was pouting.  He would shrug his shoulders and raise his arms like he was saying "WTF?" and I even saw him kicking the bushes that he was standing next to.

How could it be possible that someone could be so exacerbated by the fact that no one was rolling down their windows and just handing him cash?  SERIOUSLY???  Don't get me wrong... I feel for those families who have been hit hard by the recession and understand that there are some that have done everything they can to get by, but a lot of people who are struggling are also working their asses off, do whatever they can find to do so they can put food on the table, rather than standing on the corner waiting for a hand out.

This guy needs to take his huffy attitude and energy and go to the unemployment office, go walk around the city and find a "help wanted" sign, and realize that there have been too many news reports about how much money pan handlers make!

Sure, I have everything that I "need" and life, and much more... but I worked hard in school, I worked hard to get the job I have now, I have no credit card debt and if we make a big purchase, it is very calculated and we never over extend ourselves on frivolities.  I also donate money to those causes that are important to me, help little cousins and co-workers kids with school fundraisers, and I try to take my employees to lunch or have them over for a meal now and then because I remember what it was like to be a poor grad student... those are my priorities - not the guy standing on the corner, who I don't know, asking me for cash and giving me a dirty look when I don't.

So, guy on the corner - get over yourself... your bad attitude and pouting is not making people feel worse for you - it just makes you look ridiculous.

Whew... thanks for letting me vent... the stress of the coming Fall semester is making little things really get to me these days.  I hope you have a great day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment