Saturday, February 25, 2012

Saturday on the Couch

I went to bed last night at about 8:30 pm, feeling like I was getting sick.  I have no idea what it was about yesterday, but I felt like crap.  I made it through the day (and a much needed happy hour with some awesome co-workers) and was home by 8:00 pm for a shower and in bed by 8:30 pm with a heating pad.  I definitely didn't sleep straight through the night, but mostly a sleep for the next 13 hours.

I finally got out of bed today at around 11:00 am and came down to the couch, where I vowed to stay for the day.  So, I've been here since then... I did some work, went through some emails, spent a little time catching up on what was going on in the world... mostly via Facebook, so not as much "the" world and more "my" world.  I caught up on A LOT of TV that I haven't watched (I'm currently watching The Grammys... yes... I know, that was forever ago).

I grew up Catholic, and although I'm not currently a practicing Catholic because I'm just not sure about the church and it's view on some very hot topics (a post for another time), I would still consider myself Catholic.  It was really hard for me to figure out what I was going to do for Lent this year... last year we gave up meat, and although it was hard to come up with variety in our menu, it was really not something that was all that difficult, and was not a major sacrifice for the 40+ days that are Lent (in case you didn't know, Sundays are not counted in the 40 days).  In the past, I've given up Alcohol, I've given up dessert, I've given up pop... none of those things have ever really been that hard... I guess I'm just not someone who loves any one thing all that much.  I thought about giving up Facebook, but I have to use it for work sometimes, so it's really not practical because I'd still have to be on there sometimes.

So, I decided I would do something to make myself better instead of trying to find something to give up.  I'm currently the heaviest I've ever been at 160 pounds and am totally unhappy with how I feel about myself because I've always been athletic and I've always been in good shape.  I've been running (training for a half marathon), but my hip injury has kept me from running more than a couple of times a week and while I've been able to maintain my 5-6 mile runs, the 10-12 miles a week has NOT done anything for my weight.

My mom mentioned that she wanted to try Weight Watchers and I told her I'd do it with her.  Then I was talking to my friend at work about it and she said she'd do it to, so I signed up today.  I started to look through it and I'm pretty sure I made a horrible mistake.  J's kind of a picky eater (not a bad one, there are just a few things he doesn't like that seem to be in everything), and although he tells me all the time that I need to eat what I want and he will find something else to eat, I like to cook for both of us.  It's hard to cook for one.  Well, I looked at the recipes online and first of all, they are OVERWHELMING... there are so many of them.  Then I was looking at the ingredients and I can't find many things that I think J will like.

Then I started going in and putting in some of our favorite recipes.  I'm screwed...

We have a really great Salmon and Rice dish that is about 200 calories per serving and I'd say it's on our normal rotation of meals... WELL, it's 14 points... FOURTEEN... that's more than half of my daily total!!!  A peanut butter and jelly sandwich... 13 points... for 2 pieces of bread and some peanut butter and jelly.

I was in tears today looking at this... most of the time, I don't have time to make anything more than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to take to work, unless we have leftovers, but I certainly can't "afford" to have salmon and rice for dinner and then have it for lunch again the next day.  Yes... a 6 mile run will give me about 11 points back every time I do it, but right now, my hip won't let me do that more than a couple of times a week.  How in the WORLD do people do Weight Watchers???  I'm already discouraged and I'm on day 1.

OK, we'll I think I've gone on enough for today...

1 comment:

  1. As someone who's been on Weight Watchers for over a year, let me tell you - at first, it is completely overwhelming! While neither my fiancee or I are picky eaters, during my first month or so, I was not a happy camper. I couldn't eat what I wanted to eat or what I was used to, and it was miserable! But I will tell you, it gets better. Weight Watchers is about a lifestyle change, not just a diet. So with that in mind, take baby steps! Use your Flex points - I split mine up by 7, and tacked them on to each day so I would have those extra points. Don't be afraid to try new things - I am now a big fan of some vegetables that before, I wouldn't even consider touching! Take it day by day, and don't beat yourself up if you can't stay within your points each and every day at first. I found getting into the habit of tracking my food was a challenge too. But trust me, it does get easier! And it works if you stay with it. Good luck and take it easier on yourself! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete