Monday, July 29, 2013

Keep Looking Up...

I wouldn't say that I've moved a lot, but I've lived in my fair share of cities.  The Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex was my home for about 10 years of my life, and the place that I had some of my most significant life moments - I learned to drive, I graduated high school, I got my first real job and I met my husband in that area.  Yesterday, I found out that the morning DJ on KISS FM, Kidd Kraddick, passed away suddenly while at a golf outing for Kidd's Kids - his charity.

This obviously is an extremely sad occurrence - he has a daughter who is in her mid 20s, and it was completely unexpected, so I cannot even imagine what it would be like to receive that phone call.  It also made me think about the fact that Kidd was not only the guy that I listened to in the morning, but the guy who shared his life.  When I was in middle school, I remember riding to school in the car with  my mom and listening to Bath Time with Caroline.  I felt connected to the co-host, Al, when his son decided to attend Purdue University, which is where we lived before moving to Texas.  And the song that J and I danced to on our wedding was an unplugged version of Bruno Mars' "Just the Way You Are" that I fell in love with when he made an appearance on KKITM.

Listening to Kidd Kraddick in the Morning was like spending time with a friend - that friend that tells the best stories.  He was entertaining, but he was also so real.  He did a lot for the community through his KISSmas wish, where people could write in and request that family or friends of theirs be given a Christmas that they deserve instead of just the Christmas that they could afford.  He made an immeasurable impact on a number of terminally ill children and their families on their Kidd's Kids vacations to Disney World.

That is the kind of radio family that you want to claim as your own - the kind that shares their lives, keeps it clean and makes an impact on the community.  So, Kidd Kraddick, I hope you've been reunited with some of those Kidd's Kids that have gone before you and that you know that you've been a part of the lives of many who you never met, just by being there every morning on the way to school or work.

Kidd Kraddick Dead
via
"Keep looking up, cause that's where it all is"


No comments:

Post a Comment